Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Actually from February 5

Last night’s pasta y fagioli, with a sprinkling of freshly grated hard Italian cheese: not vegan. The accompanying salad of mixed greens and a light buttermilk dressing: also guilty. Actually, one can’t get through The Guide without breaking a few eggs for a gin fizz, and then there’s the whole nog category, not to mention the white Russians. I recall a saner-than-average vegan saying that the ideal diet is to aspire to be vegan, but to occasionally fail. (Lest anyone be wondering, yes, I am free to judge sanity, as this is my blog post). She was referring to the difficulty of getting absolutely all essential nutrients with a strictly vegan diet, but I’m referring to more basic needs here: fermentation and fun. So, I’ll aspire to go vegan, but I’m afraid I’m going to be caught not aspriring very hard.


There’s a good chance there won’t be much touring through The Guide very much in the next few days, given that I’ll be in Eugene with Chloe. Eugene is a good place to be vegan, though, with all those crunchy, organic, granola types.  We shall see. 

No comments: